Out of Time

I’ve been feverishly working to finish up a new title on SharePoint 2007, which is why this blog has been mostly silent and my Web site is in desperate need of updating. I’ll get to it, I promise.

Since installing the RTM (release to manufacturing) versions of Windows SharePoint Services and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, I’ve had nothing but server troubles. I quickly realized that all my server clocks were set to January 5, 2005, which I suspected could be part to blame. No problem. I updated the clocks. They reverted back to January 5. So I stopped the time service, thinking something must be wonky with it. No help there. I removed my servers from the domain and synchronized with external time servers. The time updated, until I closed the time applet.

So I started thinking about what else these servers shared in common that would make them behave this way. I finally realized that they’re all virtual servers, and they must be getting their time cues from the host server. Sure enough. Six days ago we had a massive wind storm that took out our power six times. After the first time, I powered everything down and waited patiently. My host server must have screwed up its time when it lost power.

Now that the time is correct, I’m no longer getting error messages from the crawler in SharePoint search, which means I can finish up my chapter on search.

Advertisements